Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Night at the Studio

My longtime friend Emily is a ceramic artist and has a studio in the Northrup King Building (a wonderful old seed company building turned into artist studios) in NE Minneapolis. It's kind of like the indoor "mall" of art.


I work for her a couple days a week making trays and plates out of slabs, ornaments, staining, underglazing etc. It's really the only time I get to see her as she's a busy mama with a 4 month old and a 4 year old who tries to work on her art full time. So, her building puts on a monthly evening called 1st Thursdays where on the 1st Thursday of every month the artists open their studios for the public to see and buy their art.

Here's one of Emily's limited edition tiles for this Valentine's Day

She had me as a guest artist this Thursday to sell my Valentine related wands and crowns. I was really happy to have another venue in which to sell my work. Two sisters, 2 and 7 years old, went home with a wand and a crown each. They walked all around the studio posing and saying "Ta Da". It was amazingly cute. I didn't sell any more than that, but had a good time hanging out with Emily and watching the wide array of people come through. She's going to let me come back for another event in May called Art - A - Whirl which lasts three days. I curious what my sales for that event might be as it is really an art crawl and well, I make toys. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I hope you all had a fun 1st Thursday of February too!

No comments:

Post a Comment