Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sock Sunday

I love alliteration don't you? Sock Sunday sounded like such a good title even if I don't have a pair of socks to show you every Sunday (man, don't I wish!)  Today's socks are a simple stockinette stitch for the foot and a 2 x 2 rib for the leg.  I felt the self striping yarn would detract from any other pattern.  The yarn I used was Patons Kroy Sock Yarn in Mulberry Stripes colorway.  This is a very inexpensive sock yarn made up of 75% wool and 25% nylon that I purchased from my local Micheal's Store.  Normally I abide by the saying "Life is too short to knit with cheap yarn", but I just loved the colorway too much.  I used Wendy D. Johnson's book Socks From the Toe Up pattern called Van Dyke Socks as a starting point and just omitted the lace pattern work replacing it with stockinette and 2 x 2 rib.  I choose this pattern as it was one of the ones knit on size 2 needles and frankly speaking I'm scared of size 1 and 0 needles as they are so delicate.  Lastly, I used Jeny's "Surprising Stretchy Bind Off" to (you guessed it didn't you?) bind off, and it's very true to it's name. 

 Here's how they came out - pretty huh?


My only problem with them is the little hole I get at the top of the gusset.  Can you see it in the brown stripe?  Is anyone else plagued by this?  Has anyone come up with a solution?  If so, I would love to know.
What sock patterns are you dying to try out?

No comments:

Post a Comment