Monday, August 13, 2012

Finished Project - The Missing Piece Hobo Bag

Here it is folks, my Missing Piece Hobo Bag finished and in use!  Yay!  First off, I am so glad I shortened the handle by 10 inches (thank you Ravelry knitters!)  I could possibly have shortened it even more as it hits about mid thigh on me (I'm 5' 6") and somewhat lower when carrying heavier items.  The Cotlin yarn from Knit Picks really has a lot of stretch and drape to it apparently.  Much different from the 100% nylon yarn Norah Gaughan used in the original pattern.  Substitutions can affect your outcome by a lot.


Speaking of substitutions, I am glad that I knit this purse on US size 9 needles instead of the US size 10 1/2 with which I got gauge as the purse is voluminous.  Don't get me wrong I like a big bag.  Being a mama I tend to carry a lot with me at all times.  You never know what you'll need right?  I'm often amazed by women with small purses.  For instance, where do they put their first aid kit, drawing stuff for their children, snacks, water bottle, spare hot wheel car, not to mention their latest knitting project? 



My lovely husband Dan took all these photos for me and I think he just got about every angle he could.  He's going to become a real pro at photography when I start finishing sweaters whether he wants to or not.  No, seriously he's very supportive and always loves to help.  I don't even need to bribe him like I do my son - how great is that?


Please don't notice the slight *ahem* tummy bulge.  Knitting doesn't seem to burn the calories like I wish it would.  And, so far I can't seem to master walking while knitting - can you?  I read once that Elizabeth Zimmermann managed to knit while riding on the back of her husband's motorcycle - so cool.


I love the above two pics as they look almost connected.  Also, it shows of the traveling cable along the bottom of each "wedge" section of the purse very well.  
I'm calling this project a success.  
What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Like this! Thanks for the comments, helps someone else make decisions!

    ReplyDelete