Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Fresh Off the Wheel - Midnight Campfire


The spinning wheel was calling me after a  long reprieve and even though I have other projects in the wings (ones with an actual due date) I just couldn't resist.  I dug into my fiber stash and found this roving dyed by Wishfox Dyeworks called "Midnight Campfire".  It's Southdown wool which is a new fiber for me to spin.  A medium length fiber with lots of crimp it's supposed to be a hard wearing wool that's good for socks. 

So, socks they became!  I loosely used this pattern again with Ravelry notes found here.  They are my first pair of socks knit from handspun and even though they don't match hardly at all I am pleased.  Because I still haven't mastered spinning very fine yarn they are a bit thick.  I will actually need to get some wider clogs so I can wear them this winter.  It sounds a bit extreme, but my current clogs only fit with very thin socks so it is something I have been thinking about purchasing for a while now.  I mean who wants thin socks when it's cold out?

Joining in with Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous at every stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! Your handspun is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, these socks are gorgeous! I like it that they don't totally match. "Midnight Campfire" is exactly the right name for that color scheme.

    Regarding your question about my scrapbook page, the background paper (with the large scale mast & flags) is that photorealistic paper by McRice that Scrapbooks Too used to carry. I purchased it at Pine City Scrapbook Co. Located on 35, on the way to Hinkley, Duluth, etc., Pine City Scrapbook stocks lots of paper with local appeal. If you ever want to take a road trip... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cosy socks - can't go wrong with those. I love the colours and I don't think it matters at all that they don't match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Love the color combination !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colours and wonderful socks.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those colors. I just picked up a set of double pointed needles at a garage sale. I want to learn to knit socks. Maybe you could steer me towards a good tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Halle! Here's a good YouTube Video on double pointed needles
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1El_m_A-M
      The "Knit Witch" has lots of videos on You Tube and they are all very helpful too. Good luck!

      Delete